Maritime Traffic and Safety Consultant
Since the early eighties I have been involved in the development of models for quantifying the safety of shipping at MARIN. This has resulted in the Safety Assessment Model for Shipping and Offshore in the North Sea (SAMSON). This model has been applied in over a hundred QRA studies spread over a large variety of subjects, not only in the North Sea area but also in other sea areas. Examples of such studies are:
- Collision risk assessment for offshore platforms;
- Risk assessment studies for offshore wind farms;
- Threats to cables and pipelines by shipping;
- Probabilities of all type of casualties under different environmental conditions;
- Probabilities of outflow in volume classes by maritime casualties;
- Contributions for the "Nota maritieme noodhulp"; and
- Development of a risk index based on real-time AIS data, a dynamic risk value for decision support that can be assigned to each ship based on the position and speed of the ship, positions and speeds other ships, geographical lay out of the area, and environmental conditions.
The availability of AIS data has introduced new studies in this field, for example:
- The calculation of emissions by shipping in port areas and at sea; and
- The analysis of shipping behaviour in case of conflict situations.
After my retirement on March 1st, 2011 I have founded MTSC. This gives me the opportunity to offer my expertise with respect to maritime traffic and safety. I would like to perform this consultancy work in close cooperation with my former colleagues of the nautical centre MSCN of MARIN.
Kees van der Tak
- Kees van der Tak (Curriculum vitae)
6866 DD Heelsum
- +31 317 317 562